Broken timing belt on the Neon is $$$$ if it's the smaller displacement engine -- no relief cutouts in the pistons for the valves, so they bend all to the bad place and back.

The turbo engine has the cutouts, so is not an interference engine -- I think it was an issue with emissions on the non-turbo with valve cutouts, probably excessive hydrocarbons, so they were stuck in the interference.

You get a new belt if you put in a water pump, though -- I think it's driven by the timing belt like it is on the Volvo TD.

Peter

On Apr 26, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:

Exactly my question.

So apparently the car was in for service not so long ago and the mechanic advised changing the timing belt. The car has just over 100,000 miles and no known maintenance history, my friend has owned it just over a year and of course still owes the bulk of the loan on it (ouch!) He didn't have the cash at that time to replace the timing belt and in fact didn't realize the issues with timing belts. His previous car (as far as I know the only other car he's owned), a Neon, went 150,000 with no issue but I don't know if that had a timing belt at all. Any ideas on that?

-Curt

Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:22:19 -0700
From: Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Jetta 1.8 Turbo
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Just spoke with my friend. It turns out when the car was brought in they pulled the valve cover, cranked the engine and nothing happened in the valve train. That doesn't say skipped timing to me that says
broken belt... This is surely an interference engine,

From what I know about the VW 1.9 TDI (close cousins to the 1.8 gas
turbo) I think you are right on all points, Curt.  Did your friend
neglect the maintenance interval on the timing belt?  They are pretty
stout and usually don't give trouble if maintained by the book (change
every 60K IIRC regardless of condition, and sooner if it looks the
least bit worn).

Alex