Check the evaporator temp sensor -- if it's bad, it can cause the compressor to run when it should be off, and in certain circumstances (outside air temp under 90 F, for instance) cause the evaporator to freeze up.

Could be a bad expansion valve too, but the evaporator temp sensor should still shut the compressor off before the evaporator freezes.

Peter