We have a media blasting cabinet here at work.  We use a number of different
types of media, mainly based on the piece we're trying to clean.  There are all
kinds of media, things like nut shells, plastic beads, etc., etc.  I'm not sure
what's in it right now, but I was using it to clean a cast iron piece for a
Walker-Turner belt/disc sander I restored and it took 3 layers of 30+ year old
paint off in record time.

Our cabinet has a filter system in it too, so the crap that gets blasted off
doesn't mix with the media, which is nice.  You don't want old lead-based paint
flying around...

Dan