No number = no tax break
What are they supposed to do? Take a picture and send that to the tax people?

Hendrik

Allan Streib wrote:
Loren Faeth <lfa...@leadingchange.com> writes:

I forgot to add that off-road Diesel for tractors, crawlers,
stationary engines, bonfires, etc. has no road taxes, if you can find
a place to buy it tax free when you need it.

I once rented a small John Deere tractor with a front-loader and yard
box for some landscaping work.  While trailering it back to the rental
shop, I stopped to fuel it up.  I was in a fairly rural area and they
did have an "off-road" pump which I used, but when I went in to pay they
asked me for my "tax number" which I did not have and so they charged me
the tax anyway.

My pointing out that the tractor was clearly an off road vehicle and in
fact was sitting on a trailer had no impact.

Allan