Progress!  I took a look at the nearly-frozen AC idler bearing, and
removed it from the dogleg.  I then cleaned it and carefully pried out
the (hardened) rubber seal, exposing the dry bearing.  A shot of brake
cleaner loosened everything up, then I cleaned out the bearing and
blew it dry with compressed air.  I smeared in bearing grease, packing
it down in, then I pushed the seal back into place.  It won't seal too
well anymore, but it'll extend the life of this considerably.  (And I
don't need to order anything or wait for it to get here.)  It works
pretty smoothly now.

I then removed the suspension pump from the engine.  That takes a 17mm
flare wrench to remove the high-pressure line, and a 17mm socket to
remove the banjo bolt on the low.  An Allen wrench removes the four
long bolts from the face of the pump, liberating it.  You need a 13mm
socket to loosen the clamp on the high-pressure line, else you don't
have enough slack to remove the pump.  With the pump out you need to
cork the high-pressure line else the suspension oil reservoir will
empty onto the ground.  I lost quite a bit of oil before I got this
done.

With the pump out you can remove the remaining two Allen bolts (the
short ones) and pry the lid off the pump.  The shaft and cam can then
be pushed out from behind with your thumb.  I cleaned everything with
brake cleaner, it was very grimy.  I took pains to keep the four
pistons from getting dirty during this.  The three old seals (of
diverse sorts) can now be removed: scrape off the paper body seal (114
236 00 X0), chisel out the big O-ring body seal (010 997 43 45) being
careful not to damage the channel or the face, and pry out the shaft
seal (004 997 01 47).  The big O-ring was very hard, I couldn't even
tell that it had been an O-ring in the beginning, and was most likely
the source of the leak.

I then cleaned everything again and tapped the new shaft seal in
gently with a hammer.  The shaft may then be lubed and twisted back
into place.  (You need to gently pry the piston drive ring into place
to let the cam go into it while you do this.  With the shaft in place
you can then pry again to slip the brass bushing between the drive
collar and the cam, it doesn't really work to try to install it all in
one shot.)  Then I put the O-ring in the channel and bolted the cover
back on with the two bolts.  The trickiest part is getting the body of
the pump installed back on the engine with the drive ears mating with
the distributor drive while keeping the new paper seal in place.  (You
need to put the high-pressure line back on the pump first, though not
tightened down yet.)  That's not too difficult, though.  I then bolted
everything back down and reinstalled and tightened the hoses and their
braces, then sprayed everything off again with cleaner.  Done.  Today's
session was about 1-1/2 hours.

The big O-ring keeps suspension oil from leaking out of the head of
the pump.  The shaft seal keeps it from leaking into the engine
crankcase, and the paper seal keeps the engine oil (and any vagrant
suspension oil) from leaking out behind the body of the pump.

-- Jim