Constantine N. Polites wrote:

For those who believe in Murphy's law.. here are some photographs of my recent encounter with a discharge of sulfuric dioxide (which became sulfuric acid when it encountered the rain). On Saturday night I was driving past a local refinery when I smelled sulfuric acid and thought nothing of it, after all EPA is asleep on weekends.

Sunday I discovered the damages. I did bring it to the attention of the refinery's general counsel, and will attempt to recover
my costs.

See:  www.scaffolding.com/damages

Constantine
The paint damage was that instant? Wow. I've seen some paint damage from particulate foundry emissions but nothing like that.

If the refinery doesn't cough up to your satisfaction, may I suggest you file a small-claims suit and take your case to the local media. Once you have your damage documented in a legal forum, the newshounds will have something to sink their teeth into. But you'll need to point it out to them if you want action. Call 'em up, ask for their environmental reporter/editor, and make your case. Tell them you have a lawsuit on file, and tell them where it is.

You might also get an environmental activist agency on your side if you can, first to name-drop to the paper/TV station -- but also, if there are any class-action suits around, the tree-huggers are likely to know about them.

I'd go to the metro daily paper first -- from my admittedly limited geographic experience, almost all local news flows from them.

If the daily paper doesn't bite immediately, look for an alternative weekly. They eat this stuff up but don't have the clout of the daily press. You might also approach the consumer affairs reporters at local TV stations. Obviously, you want the biggest local station involved if possible.

Once you get a committed advocate in any medium, stick by them -- unless a bigger patron comes along!

Good luck

Russ Maki