On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 06:09:09PM -0700, Jim Cathey wrote:
> >'Coupla days ago, friend at lunch said his Ford Diesel crew cab pickup
> >('bout an '07 45 kmi) was running rough and blowing/billowing
> >blue/gray smoke.  I asked him to check oil for water/foam/chocolate
> >milk, etc., and has he had to add water recently.  "Yes, added water
> >coupla days before."  At lunch today, he said, "Yep, it has "chocolate
> >milk" for oil and is blowing oil out tailpipe.  Possible blown head
> >gasket or even cracked head and/or block?
>
> Sure sounds like it.  Fords also have been prone to cavitation
> eating through the engine block if you didn't keep the official
> coolant additive in them, but that's not an oil/water mixing
> problem so far as I know.  The truck's a bit young for that,
> too, especially since it may well still be on its factory
> coolant load.

This problem really was only a problem with the indirect injected trucks,
as the cylinder pressures were much higher. This is also a problem with
bigger OTR trucks, but those owners never complain, they just follow the
maintenance schedules. You could get this problem out of the IDI chevies
too, but it was incredibly uncommon.