Solid truck as long as it was taken care of, the indirect injected ones
(like that) could have cavitation problems if the cooling system was
neglected. It would not be a turbo unless someone added it. Five speed
should be a ZF.

In 89, there was no such thing as an F-450, which begs the questions what
you're looking at. If it's an F-350, you might actually get something
resembling mileage out of it. If it's heavier duty, it'll be an
F-Superduty, and will likely have something insane for gears in the
back - 4.5x or 4.88 would be possibilities. With 4.10s in one with a five
speed, you're not going much faster than 60-65 to keep the revs down, draw
your own conclusions with the lower gears.