I've got a 300td, so I'll put serious ice & snow tires on the car this wnter rather than load up the rear end with weight. Speaking of which, I wonder if anyody has tried Michelin's X Ice tire. Tire Rack says it uses a silica rubber compound; I would hope that means more longevity than Bridgestone's Blizzaks. It looks like it's siped similarly to Nokian's Hakk Q.

I think I'll query Luke at Tire Rack and see what kind of pitch he delivers.

Russ Maki

David Brodbeck wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I use bundles of roofing shingles. The cheap $7.00 bunbles weigh 60-70 lbs.each, are clean, take-up very little room, and if you get stuck, just place a couple under the rear wheels.

I've seen a lot of people using shingles, concrete blocks, etc., but I prefer to use something that will break apart in a crash, like sand bags. It's not quite as much of a worry in the Mercedes, but I used to drive a station wagon.