On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Kevin <ke...@mordred.punk.net> wrote:

> My experience parallels Dan's.
>
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:47:42PM -0700, LWB250 wrote:
> >
> > Any Japanese car approaching 160k is going to need some work.  It's been
> my experience that while Hondas and Mazdas and Nissans are very reliable,
> they all seem to hit the wall reliability-wise around 160k or thereabouts.
> >
> > Just my $0.02

There is a very real reason for this. Maintenance schedules. Almost everyone
sings the praises of Japanese engine building, and almost as many forget to
follow the very strict maintenance schedule of the manufacturer.

I bought a 94 Galant from a Mitsubishi dealer my wife worked for once upon a
time. The car had not been maintained at all. The kid who had received it as
a hand me down from the parents got it to 220K before the engine died. Had
it towed to the Dealer, and was told it would be about $1000 to fix. He
walked and left the title.  The $1000 .... maintenance?  They took it down
to the block, ordered a "Rebuild Kit" that is supposed to be installed every
150K or so, new gaskets, new timing belt, etc. Just all the maintenance
parts and put the engine back together. Boom, good as new.

Drove it for a couple years without a single further engine problem. Then
the neglected transmission blew and, well, I had the 94 Diamante by then.

The point is, I guess, following the recommended maintenance schedule will
help keep a car running whether Japanese or German or even American I guess,
unless you're GM and build things for planned obsolescence and then it
doesn't matter as much.

EdB

--
"I'm a Night Elf Mohawk!" - Mr. T.