In a message dated 10/14/2005 5:33:11 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I must  admit I haven't spent any time trying to learn how the IP works - I
know  it pumps fuel at high pressure to each cylinder in turn - and the
timing  is adjusted by rocking the IP toward or away from the engine.  After
rebuilding the engine I adjusted the IP because it was smoking  excessively.
It was a trial and error thing -

Larry,

.  As to the timing of the pump, if you have compressed air at  low pressure,
the bubble method is really clean and dead on reliable.  I  think you are
going to find that you are right on already, the way you describe  your
performance.

I don't know why you are starting in 2nd gear but have to admit I have no
experience with just a mechanical linkage (mine has a vacuum modulator  too).
Disconnect the long rod that goes to the transmission.   Make sure the bushing
in the lower connection is still there, an eighth of an  inch play can throw
this control off.  Fix the bushing first.  Drive  the car like that.  I would
like to know if your trans responds  to manually moving the shifter from 4 to 3
while coasting down from 50-60  MPH or so.  Like if you wanted some engine
braking while coasting down a  hill.

Then try shortening the  short rod that pulls on the transmission rod  bell
crank until it does start in 1st gear.  On mine, I have found  that the
throttle needs to pull this about 1/2 an inch BEFORE the  engine speed changes.
 This
lever is the ONLY way that the transmission  knows to drop down to first
during part throttle starts.  Keep track of the  initial measurement so you can
get back to square one, even if it is  wrong.

Good luck, and let the list know if your first gear start returns.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 261 K miles
98 ML 320, 138 K  miles