Barry Stark wrote:
I'm in the middle of replacing the water pump on my 380SL and it would be an
excellent time to replace my front crank seal as it is seeping just a little
but I need some way to hold the crankshaft so I can unscrew the big bolt
holding on the hub. Anyone have a technique that works without removing the
starter. Is there another good way to lock it up? Has anyone done this?
Hmmm...370 Newton Meters....Can I loosen it with a 1/2" breaker bar or would
I need a cheater as well?

I have accidentally done this by leaving my breaker bar on the crankshaft after I did a valve adjustment. Started the car up and out came the bolt!!!! The shop I took it to rigged something to shove into the torque converter to hold it still ( I think it was a huge screwdriver or something), put it on a lift, and used a 4ft cheater bar.

John