From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:24 AM
To: Mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] This is a nice car! Somebody should buy it!

Dwight wrote: "Yes-despoiling that 300SL like that should be a capital
offense. Snook=-can you find an appropriate statute?"

In Kansas, we have a cause of action known as "Intentional Infliction of
Emotional Distress."  Most other states have something similar. In order to
establish a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress under
Kansas law, a plaintiff must establish four elements:  (1) intentional
conduct of the defendant, or conduct by the defendant that was in reckless
disregard of the plaintiff; (2) extreme and outrageous conduct; (3) a causal
connection between a defendant's conduct and plaintiff's mental distress;
and (4) extreme and severe mental distress on behalf of the plaintiff.
Caputo v. Professional Recovery Services, Inc., 261 F. Supp. 2d 1249, 1265
(D. Kan. 2003).  Conduct is extreme and outrageous only if "a civilized
society would regard it as exceeding the bounds of decency or utterly
intolerable."  Id.  The test requires that "liability may be found to exist
when the recitation of the facts to an average citizen would arouse
resentment against the actor and lead that citizen to spontaneously claim,
Outrageous!"

I think ruining a very nice 300SL meets all of these elements! OUTRAGEOUS!

Donald H. Snook