Sunil Hari wrote:

> anyone out there got a stick shift benz (or -gasp- a bmw or audi) they're
> willing to sell for a decent price?

For manny benz, I think you will find most are pre-123 or W201 190E. If you
find a manny 190D, you'll pay a lot more than you would for a 190E plus
a good diesel engine. There's a manny 190D 2.2 for sale north of detroit,
but the seller raises a few red flags, I'd want to go up there and look
at it this afternoon, then head for an internet cafe to bid on it, pay
the man and head for home. I believe the zip code is 48045 if you want
to check an internet map. Sellers with hidden feedback scare me, and it
looks like he'll get over $3k anyway. The last 5sp 2.2 I saw went 6k
on ebay, but it seemed like a very nice car. I want to know why I don't
see a cooling fan or radiator shroud on this car, should be an engine
driven fan with electric clutch. I just don't think it's worth the
$2600 current high bid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4581728144

The auction in FT Wayne looks like it will need, at minimum, welding in some
body panels, major brake work (possibly including running new steel lines),
paint, and installing a water pump. Find out if $1 a mile delivery means
$1 per mile from FT Wayne to Columbus or $1 per mile for the whole round trip.
Look at it this way, they guy seems to have experience restoring old cars,
and he's getting rid of it because he decided it's too much work.
Does a med student want to do all that work, or buy something else?