Message: 8
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:45:20 -0400
From: "James Jetton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] EM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would be very concerned with the oil pressure, and as to the other
problems: Did they not drive or road test the car?  I would be very upset,
no, pissed off if I picked up my car and it had so many problems.  With the
kind of money you just spent, it is inexcusable that your car wasn't right.
Goes to prove one very important point: If you can find a good indy shop,
you are blessed as they are as rare as hen's teeth.  Good luck with getting
Em straight.

James Jetton
1987 560 SEL

Thanks.  It goes without saying that such has eluded me thus far.  They said
they had been driving it for two days and it was perfect.  No way to know
exactly what that means to them.  My son said that the car shifted like that
for the time he drove it also, but it never did for me.  Part of the problem
was that the shop was closed and there was only a guy cleaning up when I
arrived.  No chance to go out with one of the owners or mechanics.  Ill wife
also needed for me to do a hurry up job.
 Went out a few minutes ago to take a look and start it up.  I noticed a
badly worn wire coming from a sensor [?] just behind where the top radiator
hose goes into the engine.  I turned that around so there was less strain on
it, hoping that would help with temp gauge.  It didn't, but the oil pressure
pegged to three - as soon as the key was turned [before I started it] and
stayed there until the engine warmed, when it slowly went down to just below
the three.  Revving the engine had no effect.  Sounds to me like a screwed
up sending unit, but not my field. Bigger concern for me is that the thing
was producing bluish smoke all the time it was running today [it did not
when I started it at the indy shop].  Not something that happened with my
old engine [a bit of black for 4 - 6 seconds].  Seller said that it had a
bit of smoke when it started and used two quarts between changes.  I let it
run about 7 - 8 minutes and it was still smoking.  [Expletive avoided] I
hope I do not have another bad engine.  Into my shop here tomorrow for the
next chapter.
BillR
Jacksonville FL
1981 300SD  EM  265k / 200k engine [such is my prayer]