cheap putty knife will do it.  watchmaker's knife is a lot better, but
harder to find and more expensive.  the cover just forms a very tight seal
that is compression fit.  you just work it loose slowly and try not to mess
it up too badly. if you have strong fingernails you can start working it
open with them.  then it is held in by clips built in the cover.

once you work the cover off, you have to get to the motherboard, which is
under a chassis assembly.  4 screws hold the chassis to the bottom plate
where the motherboard is.  they are in the corner and not entirely obvious,
but once you find them, it becomes a simple matter of a small phillips
screwdriver to get those two pieces apart.  the airport card needs to be
removed from its mount (no tools, just clipped in) and there is one very
thin wire by the back of the machine that connects the motherboard with the
top chassis.  i took a small pair of needle nosed pliers and just gently
worked the wire off the mother board.

at this point you just separate the top chassis from the bottom
plate/motherboard.  the ram is right on the motherboard and pretty much easy
to unclip and clip back in.

it's a pretty easy job, but you need to pay attention, not break plastic
bits and not rip wires out of the end.  i messed up putting the cover back
on the chassis/bottom plate so it isn't a neat fit anymore, but as
everything including the disc drive is working, i don't want to unwire
everything again and put it together right.

personally, i'd rather have had someone else do the work for me, but if i
can't get it done while i wait at reasonable cost, i will do the work myself
even though i am not handy.  if someone would have put it in for me for 20
bucks while i wait, though, it's a no brainer to me to have someone who
actually knows what they are doing take care of it.  but i'm not going to
leave it for a week and pay 3 figures to have it done, especially as i am
now set up to be doing EVERYTHING on this machine now