Why not switch to an honest and reputable credit union and let your old bank know exactly why. Providian/WaMu tried stuff like this on me, and scammed me out of a lot of money. Providian/WaMu had a "policy" that payments made via debit would be held for 2 days. So my day early payment was held for 2, and they charged me a $100 late payment fee and jacked my rate up to 28% apr. This fee over-drafted the account, and they charged me $50/day overdraft fees but took a whole month to notify me so they could build up to about 2 grand. But they lost a lot more than they made off me, because I immediately switched all of my banking away from them to a credit union, and convinced all of my friends and family banking with them to do the same.

My credit union charges like a $15 late fee for payments, and will usually reverse any fee at all if you just call them up and ask nicely. It helps that the employees know most of their owner-customers on a first name basis.

Tyler

Allan Streib wrote:
Apparently some of the companies are playing games to (it would appear)
generate late fees.

Happened to me this month, one of my cards has always been due on the 5th of the month
this month it was due on the 2nd, for no apparent reason.  I always pay the full balance
but today, obviously, I'm a day late.  Technically my fault because I did not look at the
statement closely enough, but it's just something I've come to expect "card X is due
on the 5th"

Talking to some friends it became apparent that the same thing has been
happening to them.

Allan