frederick w moir wrote:
Hi, All.
Question:- On my '87 190Dt the left front torsion bar bracket fractured, signalled by an odd and intermittent clunking up front. This car has been in an accident (front) and repaired, though the clunk started only recently. Is this a common event or is this more likely the result of the previous accident? Enquiring idiot want's to know.
TIA

Torsion bar failures are rare except from accident or occasionally after 20 years from rust in earlier models. I've not had any problems in any of my 201s and reports of such failures (except for bushings requiring replacement - especially in early 124s) are very rare.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)