That's because Kodachrome still film is processed on the same equipment,
spliced together.  Kodachrome must be processed on roller processor equipment
due to the nature of the film (no batch processing possible) -- it is developed
as a black and white negative, just like more modern substantive color
transparency film, but the color development is done in three steps after
selective re-exposure.  The film in esposed to blue light from the front to
re-expose the yellow positive image, and developed in a color developer
solution that contains the yellow couplers to make the yellow dye. The yellow
filter layer prevents and exposure to the rest of the color layers.   It is
then washed and exposed to red light from the back and developed in the cyan
developer, washed, and either exposed to white light or more commonly
chemically re-exposed and developed in a magenta dye coupler bath.  There are
probably some B&W "getter" developments to prevent color cross contamination,
too.  It is then bleached to remove the silver, fixed, and dried.  I suspect is
is still lacquered, too.

Not something you can do with a developing tank.  Only the last two versions
can be developed right now as the dye couplers for the earlier versions are no
longer manufactured.  Once the current ones are gone, there will be no way to
do the color development unless someone makes the dye couplers.  Others will
work, of course, but the colors will be off.

Peter