On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:25 PM, <pm7...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Spoken like a youngster ;-0
>
> Pre war Studes were amongst the best cars built. Tha Avanti had class that
> the M/B crowd would drool for. With the Paxton Blower it would clean the
> clock on any Benz, after it passes a Corvette.
> I have a good frind who still has a Golden Hawk the is very stout fo a 60
> year old car.

This whole conversation just took a transcendental turn for me.

Perhaps I would be showing my age to say that, when I was 6 and my sister 9
(give or take), we smashed into a car on the interstate, at pretty much
highway speed, while riding in a Studebaker Cruiser, taking the trip from PA
to GA.  No one in our car was hurt, not sure about the woman in the other
car.  My father rebuilt the car and shortly after drove it regularly
again... and I do mean regularly, trips to/from Atlanta and Detroit for some
years.  We had a handful (okay, probably 20 :) of other Studebakers as well,
both running and not, while living in western NC.  No doubt many hundreds of
kmi when he got rid of that Cruiser and his Hawk, though I think the Hawk
died a natural death.

He drove the Cruiser until he got his Avanti a few years ago, worked on it
who knows how many hours to get it up to snuff - a full restoration pretty
much.  He now has two, one of which contains the FWD engine of the Buick I
destroyed the day I graduated college.  He's still working on a Studebaker
(I think that's an Avanti chassis too) he was going to give my older sister
when she turned 16, I have the feeling he's optimistically hoping to have it
for a grandchild at this point.

This relates to MBZ in a few ways:
1) I never thought I'd be a car nut like my father, yet here I am, scoping
123s and 126s with the most curmudgeonly.
2) When I went to buy my W115 last year, the owner's father had worked at a
Carquest and remembered my father buying parts from him (this was 6 hours
from our house at the time, and my father hasn't been out that way since
2000 at least).
3) While looking for pictures of my father's Avanti I came upon an article
he'd cowritten about restoring an electric 1902 Studebaker.
4) I once destroyed the rear quarter panel on a Chevy by backing into the
wide edge of the bumper on the Cruiser.  The Cruiser bumper was very
slightly bent - to the point that I didn't notice, like maybe a quarter inch
of deflection - and eventually my parents gave away the Chevy.  And before
you ask, I'm not sure how this relates to MBZ other than to say the big
bumpers on the US 123 aren't for naught. :)

Guess you never know who you are until you grow up, in the blood I suppose.

If you read this far, hope it was a pleasurable experience. :)

Cheers,
-Tim