Actually, these games post date that type of insulation.  The wires have what I
understand to be a cloth covered woven insulation, which, while not ideal,
holds up fairly well over time as long as it doesn't get wet.

The worst thing that happens to these machines is lack of use.  My Gottlieb
single player machine is a perfect example of that...

While it did have some minor electrical and mechanical issues when I got it, I
fixed the mission critical items and left the rest alone.  Then I encouraged
everyone to play it as often as possible.  Within a week the majority of the
functions were working as intended.

This is a perfect example of what I used to refer to as "basement machines" -
the family pinball machine that was abandoned in the basement and left to sit
unused.  When someone finally did turn it on and try to play it, things were
all wonky.  I would get a call about repairing it, and pretty much tossed up my
hands or offered to take it off their hands.

Most of these that I can recall would "come back to life" after some aggressive
playing for several days or a week.

Dan