Loren,
you are flirting with a total KABOM.My 86 560Sl had 145K on it with no
chain slap, just a leaking valve cover gasket. Pulled the cover and
found the nylon chain guides broken into 4 pieces. Oilers, tensioner.
chain guides new chain and gasket was 1200 bucks at my Indie. Best
money I ever spent! Like this comment or not, I have lost faith in the
MB V8 engines.

John