I know this is an old thread, but....

I had an HVAC engineer come by and do a complete analysis of our current
system.  He made some recommendations that could make the existing system far
more efficient, but there are no guarantees.  Fortunately, the mods he
suggested are not significant in change or cost, so I may consider them after I
get a second opinion.

He was surprised that the house had a single system, due to the square footage
(almost 4000 finished) and the volume of our entry/atrium.  His ultimate
recommendation if funds were not an issue would be to put a second system in
for the upstairs, which I think we will eventually do.  It will allow for far
more comfort upstairs, allow us to effectively "zone" the house, and add a
currently unfinished room to a system so it is habitable.

Dan