Most head units use the speedo signal for automatic sound control - it
increases the sound as you speed up, lowers it as you slow down.  It's an
attempt to compensate for road noise, I guess.  Lots of cars have it now - I
thinkk MB/Becker had it since the early 90s.  For some reason I was thinking
the 91 300E I had had the feature.

Dan