A big shout out to Peter Hertzing for helping diagnose the problem the problem
on my wife's car.  He suggested the idle air control motor/valve and that was
indeed the problem.  I was working on her car in the dark parking lot of her
office with nothing but the glow from my I-Phone to illuminate the engine.
Peter made some great suggestions.  I bought the part, but could not put it on.
 I had to have the car towed, and when it came off the truck it started and ran
fine. But, I had my indy put the part on.  When he got the old one off, it was
definitely gunked up and filthy and the valve was sticking.   So, I am
confident that fixed the problem.

Thanks to this Mercedes list member who helped me diagnose a problem on a Ford.
 This really is a great group!

Donald H. Snook