From: "OK Don" <okd...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 9:08 PM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] 124 parking brakes and drive shaft

I took the day off - to get ready for the holiday weekend ;-)  and decided
it was time to install the new parking brake shoes on the '92 300D 2.5T.
One shot of PB Blaster was required on each side to get the disk off of the
hub, then it was the usual "fun with brake springs" time. Being behind the
hub, and small than the usual brake spring tool can handle made it a bit
more interesting, though once I got one side done, the other side was much
easier. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the kit from Rusty
included new bolts for mounting the calipers!

I also discovered while under the car that the front flex disk has a 1/4" of
play, with the steel inserts moving laterally as I turned the drive shaft,
and the center bearing support rubber is torn in several places. I'm
guessing that one or both of these conditions are causing the occasional
rapid hammering noise that I hear/feel sometimes during acceleration or
cornering. The order placed with Rusty shouild result in another weekend of
dirt in my eyes (need to remember to wear goggles BEFORE I slide under the
car).

--
OK Don
Pair of W124 300D 2.5 Turbos