The "infected" machines/vm's were probably behind on software updates.
Linux still has that fatal flaw called the user, if the user doesn't
update when a bug is found and patched, then the system stays
vulnerable.

In all, what probably happened was a service on the servers was
vulnerable in some way, the attacker rooted the box, and then
installed nginx(which is not a virus, it's a legit web server) on a
non-standard port, and Bob's your uncle, you got a place to serve
whatever ya want.

Just my 2 cents.