Poking around my garage the other day I found a can of Rotunda Penetrating oil
http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/ROTUNDA/19a501a.jpg
which looks to be a FoMoCo product.
I like regular can penetrant like this because its easy to get right where you
want it. I filed its presence away in my head for later.

Tonight I grabbed the mirror assembly Tom had sent me and hit the pivot points
with some Rotunda. Its the strangest smelling stuff ever. I don't even have
words to describe what it smells like... Kind of like burning plastic I guess.
Anyway I managed to locate the pivot point I'd broken on my other mirror and
lube it up good. Looking at it now I think I can fix the other one once I drill
out the broken screw...

The Rotunda works really well, about 1 minute on the rusty pivot and the thing
works like new... After dinner I'll install the mirror. It'll be nice to have a
mirror I can put where I want in that car after all these years. Then I need to
pull the switch to the electric mirror apart (again!) and see if I can finally
get it clean enough to work right.

-Curt