I have noted before that we are selling a 98 F-150 that my son was driving.

I just did a quick calculation of what we have paid in repairs during our time
with it. Ouch!

We bought it in Sept 05 so have had it almost exactly 4 years.

It had about 100K miles on it when we bought it.

It now has about 145K miles - so about 45K miles in 4 years which equates to
somewhere close to 12K per year or
about 1K per month. Not really excessive.

We paid, without taxes, about $12,500 for it and now have it for sale for about
$6K so in round numbers, $1500 per
year in depreciation.

But, we have spent about $7500 on repairs not counting things like oil changes
and air filters etc.

It has had all of the usual stuff such as brakes, starter, alternator, shocks,
ball joints, tires etc. About half
relates to a new clutch so without that it might not be so bad.

Also, apart from the clutch, almost all of the work has been done by us so it
is only parts cost that I am talking
about.

Somehow that seems expensive.

Now to the sort of part - a reference to Mercedes.

I bought my 115 300D in July 05, so again 4 years ago. I only drive it in the
summer and I have put about 11000
miles on it so far.
I bought some bits and pieces from Rusty, but most of them have not yet been
installed - new belts, glow plugs,
filters etc.
I have trouble with the AC that I have not fixed and it needs a few other
things done so it may not really be a
fair comparison but I really have done almost nothing but change oil once each
year and put fuel in.

Randy