-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dan Weeks
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:33 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] rental cars

I've had to do this twice. The smallest rig you can get with a tow
hitch and dolly is a 14' U-haul. Believe me, I searched far and wide
for smaller, less expensive options. Both times, I had relatively
nice one, the first with a Triton V-10, the second with a 460. Both
got 10 MPG. The v-10 towed my 2-ton Vanagon over that mountain north
of Atlanta at 75 mph on cruise. Didn't even feel it, didn't even
downshift, and was cheaper than having the vehicle shipped home--once
1,000 miles, once 800 miles.

But you can not get an SUV, car, or pickup with a tow hitch on it. I
needed a hitch on a rental once for a business project. My client
ended up renting a new Jeep, bought and installed the hitch at their
own expense, and left it on when we returned it. Had we had an
accident while towing, however, the insurance would have been invalid.

Dan

--
Dan Weeks
82 VW Westfalia 1.6 TD conversion 182k