When I moved to Texas in 99 the legislature had just passed a law that said the driver could not be drinking and driving. Made it kind of hard to measure distances then on your travels ("Thass about a 3 beer trip") Then the next year they banned the passengers from drinking too. Then sometime later I think the seatbelt law was instituted, then a law that said you couldn't have those things surrounding your license plates (which was done to give cops an excuse to pull you over "just because") and that got rescinded the next year because the voters actually howled in outrage.

Now if they could just get the "guest workers" and their extended families to learn about drivers' licenses, insurance, the actual process of driving, using seatbelts (It's a cultural thing), and not putting 15 people in a vehicle, that might make things even better.

--R

Hendrik & Fay wrote:
Well according to that bit of crap the insurance companies and the highway mob are solely responsible for advancing automotive safety in the last 50 years. And here is MB and other manufacturers claiming that they developed safety systems, tsk tsk tsk. What did I read in another post, only a couple of months ago Texas decided that seat belts safe lives. If the insurance companies and the highway mob reckon that they have any bearing on car safety they are fn dreaming.

Hendrik

relng...@aol.com wrote:
To celebrate their 50th anniversary, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety crashed a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air into a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The video speaks for itself and makes the need for crumple zones obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CU-k0XmLUk&feature=player_embedded#t=45

RLE