OK, here's the low-down.  Finally got to see the car last night.  Very
sharp looking car, but I'm on the fence as to making an offer.

Good:
-Evapectomy has been done; ACC functions perfectly and will freeze you
out of the car.  Not sure if vacuum pods were done at same time, but
they all seem to work.
-Other than the headliner which is falling down, interior looks really
nice.
-Exterior is very nice, straight, rust-free; metallic silver paint, a
great color.  I really only like white and silver in South Carolina heat
and humidity.
-Vacuum pump has been changed.  Record of repair at ~150k miles shows
new timing chain at same time, and some other stuff from front of
engine.  I suspect vacuum pump failed, dumped into front engine cover
and took out the timing chain.  Lucky the motor wasn't destroyed as
well.
-New radiator and condenser and grill after minor collision with trailer
hitch; engine holds temperature nicely.

Bad:
-Owner says it uses coolant, about a cup every two weeks/500 miles and
shop has declared that head-gasket needs replacement.  I haven't yet
confirmed, would surprise me if shop wanted to do the work even if not
needed or perhaps combine it with the following....
-One or more glow plugs are bad, and isn't this engine (OM606) notorious
for breaking off glow plugs which then require head removal?
-Engine electrical harness is original and owner says shop says it needs
replacement.
-Engine has low power; during wide open throttle acceleration, power
dropped off significantly at about 4k RPM and the car would quit
accelerating and not up shift.  I did two runs, and it was a little
better on second run, so maybe it simply is really carboned up (lots of
smoke during both runs) or maybe some of the complex stuff in the intake
is not working correctly.
-Right rear window regulator has failed, window is taped in place to
hold it up.
-Coolant is green stuff.
-Brakes pulsate, probably warped rotors.
-Records are incomplete, seem to be no records of oil changes for
significant periods in first 150k of cars life, but then good records
after that.  First indicated oil change is at 8k miles?!?  Some service
at dealerships, some at independent garages.
-Rear view mirror adjustment is broken
-Passenger visor vanity mirror cover is broken

Owner is advertising for $3800, told me after test drive that he'd take
$3000 "as is" or $3400 after fixing the rear window.

I'm thinking about offering $2500 after testing coolant for presence of
gasses indicating head gasket failure.  I would need to fix brakes, glow
plugs, window regulator, and change coolant immediately.

Other bad news; as I was leaving the owner of the independent MB garage
I use was pulling up to look at the car.  So, I'm now bidding against
someone who knows as much if not more than me.

Very respectfully,
/s/
LCDR Max Dillon
'87 300TD 314k miles