More to get room underneath to work on them. although if you can reach the bolts/nuts you don't need to jack it up. Once you undo a mount they can be pushed in or out to get them out of the way. They are not "structural" so you can unbolt them, push the strut in/out to fit or miss the mounting points. If you let the wheel drop down it will give you a bit more room to work in there. The new ones are shipped with a plastic strap to keep them from extending, it might be easiest to attach the top loosely then cut the strap and let it extend (it does it slowly) then guide it into the bottom mount. You can compress them again if you need to but it takes a bit of ooomph and they want to keep extending while you are messing with them in there. Some shocks have a plastic bumper thing on the rod at the top, see if your car has that and note how they are arranged to get the new one on right (if you need it).

--R

Dimitri Seretakis wrote:
So I only need to Jack the car up for th purposes of extending the shocks to be
able to remove and replace them?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 2, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>