On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:13:04 EDT  relng...@aol.com  wrote:

>Who's paying for this? Auto paint is very expensive and a base coat/clear
>coat job is going to cost more. A lot more. As to which paint, I'm guessing
>it's been a long time since single stage paint was used (except on the very
>cheapest cars, and certainly not any of the Germans and non-metallic) so
the
>selections may be limited. The advantage to two stage is that when you
>polish it, you are polishing the clear and not the base coat which BTW is
not
>glossy.
>> ...Question....does anyone know if a single-stage paint finish is more or
>> less
>> durable than a double-stage paint finish?? My car, a? solid dark blue,
was
>> repainted (and failed, due to bad paint) and is now going to be re-preped
>> and shot.? The shop is willing to shoot it either way......hence, my
>> question....

The paint manufacturer (I won't give the name, but if anyone want to know,
email me privately) is re-emburseing my shop to re-shoot my car.  It was
determined by my body shop and the rep that it was a failure of the paint,
not the application or the prep.  When I questioned why there was no
clearcoat, (answer:solids are shot single stage; metallics shot BC/CC.), he
offered to re-shoot it as BC/CC, hence, my question.  Based on what I've
read and the link provided by Larry T(?), I'll be taking the BC/CC route.

I was also planning on r/r the bumper chrome but I think I'll wait till the
spring.  And my shop said no problem doing that part of the job in the
spring.

One more thing......anyone have some nice, newer W126 Palomino seats or
interrior parts (drivers' door panel, in specific) they want to part with?

Thanks,

Angelo Giaimo
1990 W126 Longbody