> .....I remember reading several years ago, the paint problem was traced
> to the
> deodorant being used by the guys doing the prep work on the
> cars...........

When my friend SJB was in the process of restoration of his 1956 Porsche
Speedster and after all of the metalwork was finished ($13K), he helped the
painter sand and fill the body which took quite some time. BTW, I hesitate to
use the term "the painter" because he is a true artist and works only on
worthy cars which means no insurance jobs knocking the dents out of Buicks.
Porsche (mostly), Mercedes, lately some Ferraris etc. His work is usually
perfect.

So when the car was finally painted and left closed up in the paint booth
for several days, the paint was covered (a slight exaggeration) with
fisheyes. To call this a disaster was an understatement and the paint company
rep
was contacted. This was a catalyzed paint with no clearcoat and might have
been Sikkens but I'm not sure.

The paint rep took one look at the fisheyes and said he had seen this
before. He said, somebody with acidic skin oil has been prepping this car. My
friend admitted that he had had fisheyes show up on his at-home paint work and
never knew what caused them. They had to start over with all the prep work
and do it all over. From then on my friend wore gloves when touching the car
before it was refinished.

He never revealed what the entire process cost but what with painting it
twice and the labor I thought it to be over ten grand. The color is Signal Red
(correct for that year) and the interior is tan leather. In fact, the car
is 100% correct. We spent five years from start to finish.

I would post a couple of pictures of it but I admit not knowing how to get
by the picture stripper. Or is that picture striplin?

RLE