On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM, LarryT <l02tur...@comcast.net> wrote:
>    BTW, there's a program on the HD Theater channel that has a couple of
> Brits buying
> and flipping cars.  Some need paintwork and the mechanic/painter always sands
> the car with
> his hand and sandpaper instead of using a backing block.  The backing block
> should *always"
> be used to keep the sanding smooth.
>
>    After sanding he runs his bare hand across the surface to see how it
> "feels" I guess.  That
> transfers oils from the hand to the surface and will cause fisheyes and other
> problems.   Drives
> me crazy every time I see it.

Wheeler Dealers!  I love that show, but I think, like Click and Clack,
it's probably best taken as entertainment more than actual useful
information.  Sometimes there are useful tips about what to look for
when buying particular old cars, but just as often they will ignore
something critical---for example, when evaluating a late '80s Saab 900
Turbo, they made no mention of the #1 problem with those cars, manual
transmissions that blow up at the drop of a hat.  And the
Brit-centricism of the show, as with Top Gear, can be pretty funny.
In one episode they were buying a C4 Corvette and kept saying that
American cars are known for their "dodgy electrics"---which is awfully
ironic for an Englishman to say.

Alex Chamberlain
124s, 126s, and a bunch of Saabs