From: Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Chinese Volvos
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 7:52 PM

Gary Hurst <jabbahur...@gmail.com> writes:

> a person well known to this list told me a story a few weeks ago.  his
> company designs and markets stuff, but does not actually manufacture.
> chinese firms are endlessly after their business, often putting in very low
> bids (say, $3.75 for an item that they think they are getting a deal on at
> $8 per unit)  however, when they go with the chinese producer, the product
> is never "right."  the specs are shortcutted, ignored, cheated, etc and junk
> is received.

So, it all goes back to "you get what you pay for".  And WHO is to blame
for the shoddy product?  The Chinese company who is trying to get the
account, or the design/marketing firm who contracts manufacturing at a
price that they KNOW will result in crap?

Apple computers are manufactured in China.  They are quality products.
You can get quality manufacturing from China IF you pay for it and IF
you do the proper oversight to be sure you are getting what you paid
for.

Allan
--
1983 300D