Hi Chuck,

Oddly, the W210 E55 AMG is no faster than my W124 E500, despite being
an official 'AMG' model. It also doesn't sport the flared fenders that
make the original really stand out from the plethora of other 124's.
The plain-Jane W210's could easily mimic the E55 with little more than
different wheels! The one advantage to the E55 is that there is a
bolt-on supercharger kit for the M113 engine. Nothing similar exists
for my old-school M119 (except a NOS kit, which I admit I have thought
about!) Anyway, I've heard enough bad things about the W210 chassis to
scare me away from it.

Now, the new W211 E55 AMG (2004-up) with the factory supercharged,
intercooled, near-500hp powertrain off the showroom floor... THAT
thing is *stupid* fast. And there's a station wagon (estate) version!
Mmmm....

Alas, all are far out of reach of my wallet as well.

=)

-dm