You can try replacing the float assembly, but this is pretty typical behavior for those things. Mine comes on occasionally when I'm about a quart low, so does the one in my mother's 300TE at the same point.

The observation that you "burn" more oil completely full is typical Benz. Do check for an oil leak at the shut-off lever and for oil from the front seal (and turbo drain 0-rings) -- these three leaks can be the source of your "consumption", as I know only too well. I've got to fix all three on mine, hopefully next week in time for a trip.

My old 300D with 270,000 miles use NO oil between changes when I had all the leaks fixed.

Peter