That's the problem with high output internal combustion engines -- with the way physics works, you gradually end up having to pick an rpm range for max output because all the compromises only work there...

Those engines would toss a rod if you forced them to go faster than 2200 rpm -- something about keeping the con rod cap bolts intact as you jerk the piston up and down -- eventually you exceed the material strength and pull the cap off on an intake stroke.

A 500 rpm power band is VERY hard to operate in -- I've seen more than one older truck grinding up a long grade (like 7%) in a very low gear because some idiot cut the driver off and he missed a gear and couldn't upshift on the slope.

Peter