At 11:59 AM 11/29/2009, Larry T wrote:

As someone who is electrically challenged, is the <<interlockkit>> you made from scrap materials basically a metal plate

Not exactly. Plastic sign material with pivoting levers. My fancy design which uses less breaker box space.

that only allows the generator circuit breaker switch to be turned on when the main house breaker is in the off position?

     Yes.

I know there's more to it than that - the generator CB must be installed for instance.

Is that basically it?

Yes. If you find your house breaker box on the interlockkit site and read the kit installation instructions, I think that's about it.

I have our generator in an out building fed by a 220 line from the house main breaker box. When the regular power goes off I throw the main power switch in the house box to disconnect the power company and then back feed from the generator.

     Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

Indecision is the key to flexibility.