I don't think you'd make it in via the back seat very easily. You'd have to
get the fuel tank out of the way first...

On a similar note when I bought my 83' 300D the driver's door lock didn't
work. I've had a look in there and there's a piece actually broken. Trouble
is, I don't see how one would get the new mechanism in there without some
major work.
HOWEVER... I also noticed an electric motor near the vacuum diaphragm thing.
I tried it the other day and sure enough it's an electric lock actuator. It
looks factory as it's more or less part of the vacuum actuator as far as I
can tell, but I can't exactly figure out what it's for since everything is
vacuum only to my knowledge. The only thing I can think is that it has
something to do with the alarm system(maybe that alarm was factory?) or else
it's stock for some other model and fits in there?
Either way, I'm thinking the simplest method is going to be to get a cheap
keyless entry kit and hook it up to that actuator. All I need is a remote
controlled switch/relay...
I thought about trying to hide a button somewhere on the car, but that just
seems like it would be too easy for someone to see me do it...

Levi