I must say, I do like some of the styling of the Genesis, but probably
because is looks so much like a BMW to me.  As for having the Europeans
quaking in their boots, I'm not too sure about that one.  And while there is
nothing wrong with a Lexus, I don't believe it compares to a Mercedes.
Mercedes made a big mistake trying to compete on price, and it cost them in
many ways.  In the past, Mercedes built the best car they could, and charged
accordingly.  If you wouldn't afford it, well you couldn't afford a to drive
a mercedes, simple.

I had several friends who wanted a big comfy well made car in the 90s, and
they bought Lexus.  Not because they felt it was a better car, or even as
good as a Mercedes, but it was a good car, and a good chunk of money less.

A Mercedes isn't perfect, but I feel for most of its mid and upper range
models, it's one of those products that's greater than the sum of its
parts.

As a Harley riding friend of mine often tells me, "If I have to explain it
to you, you just don't get it".  Likewise, and this may sound a bit snobby,
and I don't mean it to, but for those who are temped by a Hyundai over a
Mercedes, they don't really get what fine German engineering is all about.
And for those who don't, that's ok, that's why companies like Hyundai and
others sell millions of cars.  I just don't feel what they're offering is
keeping any of the engineers over at Mercedes up at night.  And if it is, it
shouldn't!!  Let the bean counters worry about it.  Build the best, and
those who appreciate it will always find it, and pay.  It's a formula that
has always worked for mercedes, and others.  Only time they got into
trouble, is when they started to build cars down to a price, to compete with
inferior brands.

Ed
300E