On 10/25/05, Hendrik Riessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well from what I can see it is to do with the name of the fuel that is
> used
> in a particular engine.

  I'd agree with Hendrik, although our diesels are compression ignition,
they run on diesel fuel. Some Military Multi-fuel engines can run on gas,
diesel, avgas, or combinations of those. Some would even run on milkfat!
(creme). Those engines had diferent power characteristics depending on the
fuel, but were still CI engines. I would say the HCCI engine could be called
just CI by those who know what it means. With the gasoline direct injection
technology available today (and it's been available elsewhere for 10 years
or so), HCCI is the next logical step.
 --
Rory Morrison
Oroville, WA