I had time this weekend to replace the snapping axles in the '92 300D 2.5.
The boots on the original axles were not cracked, briken, etc., but they
were definitlely catching and breaking loose at times, so I ordered a pair
of new ones, $70 each.
When I got them, there were two different axles, with different part numbers
- A210 350 84 10  and A129 350 41 10.  I figured one fo them needed to be
returned, so called Rusty. He checked his information, and said that
Mercedes says they are interchangable. I thought this was good news - no
waiting for an exchange to get the right parts to proceed.

The A210 350 84 10 axle looks very similar to the originals in the car. The
A129 350 41 10 axle has a tothed ring on the wheel end, that looks like it
might be input to a sensor that measures rotation. Seems that this axle is
for cars with ASD and/or ASR, and is the native axle for a 300SL, 129
chassis. I thought, OK, so if it's interchangable, so what.

When I started to tighten the axle nut, and the spline was being pulled into
the hub, I noticed that the hub would no longer rotate - I wasn't having to
hold it to keep it from turning. This was not a good sign!

I took the axle out, and saw that the ends of the teeth were slightly
smashed, looed in side the hub carrier, and saw marks where the teeht had
been. I decided that the quickest way to get the car drivable again without
re-using the old axle, was to grind off the teeth, which I did. The result
was that part of the axle was 0.03" larger in diameter than the original
axle. I figured that was close enough, installed it, and the hub, axle, etc.
turns freely. The car drives fine now.

Attached pictures show the difference between the two axles, and the marks
instide the hub carrier.

Lesson learned - regardless of what MB says, an A129 350 41 10 axle is NOT
directly interchangable with the original axles in a non ASD/ASR 124 300D
chassis!

--
OK Don
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as