What does the fuel gauge show???

If the fuel filter has no fuel, suspect the feed and return lines switched in the engine compartment. The return line hooked to the feed side of the transfer pump will cause the car to run out of fuel with a little under 1/4 tank.

2. Air in fuel lines Check to see if the hand (primer) fuel pump on the side of the transfer pump (which is attached to the injection pump) will pump fuel. If it leaks or bubbles, it needs to be replaced (use a plumbers basin wrench)

3. leaking fuel hoses (in engine compartment or under the tank. These can let air in, but not leak fuel. (also any loose connection: check clamps)

4. Plugged fuel screen in the tank (suction hose removed,(Drain tank), then remove a cover, then access to the fuel screen from under the tank)

5. it is remotely possible that the transfer pump failed. I have not seen one less than 40 years old fail.

OK, the SD is in the shop warming up a bit. Seems like the fuel filter is pretty dry. So they are suspecting a bad fuel pump. Where do they hide them on the '80s, does anyone know?!! Our 450 SELs are all real obvious. This one looks to be hidden in the trunk or somewhere back there, right?? Thanks AGAIN, Christy

Tow strap worked great, think the guys had a lot of experience with that part. Just didn't want to damage the car by towing, if we shouldn't. Seems most automatics can go a little ways at low speeds. But you almost never have to walk away from a MB!! Maybe this CA car doesn't like WY yet!!