I don't think anyone would dispute that a W140 is an amazing car, to both be
in, and drive.  The car is what it is, and I think the general feeling is,
know what you're getting into.  It's a flagship car, that has a few well
know problems and weaknesses, as ALL cars do.  The difference being, some
parts on a W140 are very expensive to buy.  Sure, you can always pick up a
reasonable set of rotors, or other items, but there are many components that
are very expensive to purchase, and very time consuming to install.

Again, I wouldn't let this deter me from getting one, but those interested
should understand what running one involves, whether in the time you are
willing to keep one properly serviced yourself, or the money you're willing
to pay someone else to do it for you.

It must be kept in mind too, that these cars are now all old.  I know, many
ppl here would call them young, but the youngest of the series, are now
getting into that range, where rubber components, gaskets, and other such
things start to parish.  Once again, I wouldn't let if put anyone off one if
they really like the model, just understand what's involved in maintaining
one "properly".

I feel for a pleasant ownership experience, it's always best to know the
good and bad of a any model.  The positive attributes of a W140 will soon
make themselves clear.  But it's buying into these cars, thinking they're
without fault or that they can be run on the cheap, and then having to deal
with something like an evaporator replacement, that often makes the owner
come away feeling, the car is far from "over-engineered", and quite a bit
under-engineered in areas.

As you said, and I agree, I think it's one of Mercedes best cars.  Just keep
some cash set aside, for those unexpected repairs, as befalls all cars.
They do cost more on a W140 to put right, as one would expect.

Ed
300E