Stern is quite a respectful guy (however, always long-long-winded when
answering simple questions).  His points are valid, and if you're looking to
be able to actually see at night, then these copy-euro-lights are probably
not the best choice.

But, I've been at this old mercedes for a while.  I've had alot of cars, and
alot of different head lights.  Original sealed beams, old Euro lights, new
OEM euro lights, and even E-code stuff from Stern.  Once upon a time I had a
240D with 500W watts of light available.  I've seen alot of cars with bad
euro lights installed by foolish owners looking for the euro look.  Rusty
reflectors, no efforts to align the beams, etc.  Some of you might remember
this from (gasp!) 9 years ago: http://www.jaimekop.com/240D/lights/

With my experience, I can make the following conclusions:

1. The cibie stuff the stern sells is excellent, and highly recommended...
I'd even go as far as saying its better then MB original euro lights.
2. Good, clean, or new MB euro lights that are properly setup work very
well.
3. As euro lights age, their usefulness can be reduced to being worse the
sealed beams.  This is why car have to replace their head lights in Germany
to pass the TÜV sometimes.  I had a euro W116 with completely worthless
original eurolights the looked pretty good on first glance.
4. Old euro lights that are not aligned properly are WORSE than sealed
halogen beams that are properly aligned.
5. I've never bought a mercedes that didn't need its head lights aligned
somewhat.
6. Maybe people install euro lights in the Mercedes because they like how
they look, not how the perform.

So, my conclusion about these knock-offs:  If you don't care about how they
light up the road so much as how they look, then buy em!  I'm sure they're
not that bad.  And they're probably better than the 20 year old euro-lights
you'll get off eBay in germany that should have gone to the recycler.

For me, my personal choice is original US lights (for the stock look) with
Cibie E code H4/H1 lights.

Now, let me tell you about Mercedes radios.....

Jaime
'95 E320 wagon with new US head lights, thanks to me rear-ending someone
last year.
'82 300D with 7" Cibies and some kinda high output bulbs Stern sold me years
ago.
'79 300SD with halogen sealed beams properly aligned, and cibie H1 high
beams installed by the german original owner.