From: "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:33 PM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Lapping IP nozzle

Those are the delivery valves, and no , you should NEVER lap anything related to the IP. The seal is with a rubber o-ring at the fuel chamber and the copper seal on the plunger/sleeve set, and neither is going to wear anywhere else (except the plunger to sleeve fit, and the only fix there is a new set).

Obtain new o-rings and copper seals. Clean the IP completely, no dust or grit or goo. Remove injection lines, then one and a time inscrew the delivery valve holders. Lift the holder up carefully, remove the spring and insert, then lift off the seal with a pick. Some seal at the base of the screw in part, some have a seal at the TOP of the internal body, make sure you put the seal back were it came out. Some people recommend replacing the spring as well, they are not expensive. Remove the old o-ring, roll the new one in place, grease with vaseline or silicone grease, place the new copper seal properly, re-install the spring, insert, and pressure valve body the way they originally were, then torque the pressure valve holder to 25 Nm, release, torque again to 25 Nm, release, then tighten to 30 Nm. No more, else you will distort the injection pump, no less or it will surely leak internally. Repeat for the remaining pressure valves. Re-install the injection lines, leaving the cap nut at the injectors (not at the IP) loose. Crank until no more air comes out, then tighten the cap nuts. Should start pretty quickly after that.

It's unlikely the leak will cause more than fuel spillage -- also replace ALL the fuel lines between the tank and the suction side of the lift pump, and the hand pump if it's the old red handled screw down type -- the plunger seal leaks and lets air in. Air leaking into the suction lines will cause the fuel to run low in the IP, making it very hard (and eventually impossible) to start.

Peter