Yes, I can recall getting a few sub-$500 beaters painted at Earl Scheib as a
teenager.  If I recall, the cheapest paint job was like $79, with no prep work.
 That's where they got you, if you had them do bodywork.

And the colors they had to choose from were truly unique - you knew an ES paint
job when you saw the color.

True, if you did a good job prepping the car it wasn't a bad deal, if you could
tolerate the crappy colors.

Dan